[Samba] Problems with Samba on Linux

Abe Simon asimon at tombrown.com
Tue Nov 18 20:44:15 GMT 2003

Hello Samba list users,
I am new to this and am having problems running Samba on Red Hat Linux
7.3 on Dell PC's. I cannot consistently "see" the Samba shares on my
PC's. Most of the time I get the error "Not a valid folder ...." when
trying to "add to my network places". I have succeeded at times from
different PC's but right now none can access.
Samba was loaded by the previous sysadmin as part of the normal software
from the RH cd's on all my machines. I first got it running on my Linux
workstation to check it out. I could see the server shares /home and
/project2/data which were mounted to my workstation from the server and
I have SWAT running through Gnome okay on the workstation. When I tried
running SWAT through Gnome on the server it won't start. So I copied the
Samba password file from the workstation to the server and that worked
for a while.
Now after running a short while I can't get to either from any PC. Can
someone suggest some areas to check please? I have tried both adding to
my network places and mapping a drive.

Abe Simon
Linux/Unix Admin
Tom Brown, Inc
Denver, CO

This message is intended only for the use of the intended recipient and may
contain information that is PRIVILEGED and/or CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
disclosure or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this communication in error, please destroy all copies of this message
and its attachments and notify us immediately.