[Samba] Printerassistent.

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Tue Nov 18 20:07:00 GMT 2003

> Antwort: [Samba] Printerassistent.
>
>     * To: samba at listsdotsambadotorg
>     * Subject: Antwort: [Samba] Printerassistent.
>     * From: StefandotIven at voessingdotde
>     * Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:35:35 +0100
>

> Hello Kurt,
>
> first I like to thank you that you try to help me.
>
> I will try to explain my problem exactly.
> Here is what I have done.
>
> I set up Samba as an PDC.
> I generated shares and printershares.
> I browsed my network over the Networkneighborhood down to my Sambaserver.
> There I can see all File and Printershares.
> I doubleclicked

Which client Win OS are you using?

> the printerfolder where I then can see only shared printers
> and one folder calld new printer.
> I then rightclicked a shared printer and went to the process for uploading
> the printerdriver in the Sambaserver.
> So far so good. Everything is ok. No errors
>
> Now i will install the printer on the client machine.
>
> One way is to  browse the Networkneighborhood.
> So I browsed one folder up, there where I can see printer- and fileshares.
> I rightclick the printer for wich I first installed the drivers in the
> server and choosed connect.
> The drivers were downloaded from the server and printer is installed an the
> client.
> The client is able to print correctly.
>
> Browsing the Network is one way to install a printer on a client.

And this is the recomended way in the HOWTO....

> An other way to install a printer on a client is to use the controlpanal.

Well, at least in the HOWTO this is nowhere recommended... (It is even in
a pure MS Windows environment a much slower way to do it, if you have
more than a few dozen PCs and printers...)

This doesn't say that there might not be a bug with that part of the
Samba-Code, however...)

> So I clicked the startbutton on the client, went to the controlpanel,
> clicked Printers, clicked Add new Printer,
> choosed Networkprinter, left the printername empty to search for the
> printer, clicked continue button,
> and then --> there I can see the domain, some clients wich belong to the
> domain and wich offers printer,
> but not my samba server.

You'd need to post your smb.conf (minus comments) to get more advice
on that....

> I hope you now understand what I mean.

Yes.

> Today I tried with Suse Sles8, the
> newest updates, but still the same problem.
> 2.2.8a worked right, but I'm not able to get this running with Samba3.
>
> I realy hope that I now have exactly explained what I mean.
>
> Thanks a lot, and I hope to hear you.
>

> MfG Stefan

Cheers,
Kurt