[Samba] File Disappearance after copy from OS X

Chris Douglass ALLEN.C.DOUGLASS at saic.com
Tue Nov 18 17:30:53 GMT 2003

I have seen this problem occur on my network under the following
conditions:
Mac user puts files on network with OS9 + DAVE.
Mac user moves/modifies/alters file with OSX.
Mac user returns to OS9 (and/or Classic Mode app), and file appears, but
is not really there.

It seems that the Resource.frk and the DesktopDB folders (which hold the
resource fork data for the Mac), are enough to make the file appear to
be there, although it really isn't. This ends up confusing both the OS9
and OSX mac installs. Our solution to this was to eliminate all OS9 and
below plus Classic Mode apps on the network. Otherwise, Mac OSX is
working on my Samba network with samba 2.2.8a, 2.2.3, and 3.0.
Hope it helps.
-Chris