[Samba] pamsmb_pass, userPassword & samba(LM/NT)Password

Chew, Darren darrenc at vicscouts.asn.au
Tue Nov 18 05:29:58 GMT 2003

Hi All,

Has anyone used pam_smbpass before with Samba 3 and Solaris 9?

The problem I am facing is that the sambaNTPassword/sambaLMPassword and
the posixAccount userPassword attributes are not the same.

While I can use "net rpc vampire" to migrate the lanman password hashes
the posixAccount attribute remains unpopulated.

I have discovered that the smbldap tools has scripts to synchronise the
passwords but this requires the password to be changed.

I have just come across pam_smbpass and it looks like it may be the key.
Can anyone shed some light on the following lines from the INSTALL file of
pam_smbpass?

auth       optional         pam_smbpass.so migrate
password   required         pam_smbpass.so nullok use_authtok
try_first_pass

Does pam_smbpass require pam_smb?

Any help much appreciated.

Darren