[Samba] Changing SWAT port or removing 2.2.7

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Nov 17 22:24:45 GMT 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Eric Geater 11/10/03 wrote:

> Some of you have already read about my newbie fortune with this Samba3
> install.  Thanks to those who answered my original questions.
>
> Now I have something which I know is probably academic, and perhaps
> still newbie-related.  When I installed Samba3 on Friday, it took me a
> little while to figure out that my names required adding a 3 to the end
> (SWAT3, SAMBA3, TESTPARM3, et al).  I did not uninstall Samba 2.2.7, but
> I didn't see any recommendations to.
>
> Getting past the name hurdle was annoying, but it's done.  However, port
> 901 is still tied to Samba 2.2.7's smb.conf file, and I'd really like to
> adjust that.  Either port 901 can reflect SWAT3, or maybe I could insert
> port 902 somewhere and have it answer SWAT3's information.
>
> Again, any ideas would be wonderful.  Most of the docs I see suggest
> using SWAT, and I've already had to avoid it this long.

Look in /etc/services for an entry for swat.

Look in /etc/xinet[d].d for a file called swat, in which you might see
what needs changing.

If you find the documentation on SWAT in the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
inadequate please let me know what needs to be fixed. The HOWTO is
available from http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

Cheers,
John T.
--