[Samba] UNIX paths vs UNC names in [profile]

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Nov 17 20:27:16 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 05:56, John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Jeff Gardiner wrote:
>
> > QUESTION
> > My question therefore is this - I have multiple /home/subdomain directories,
> > like
> > /home/disk1
> > /home/disk2
> > /home/backupdisk3b  ... etc
> >
> > How do I store the profile in the users home dir.  My rationale is that as all
> > of my OSX users, and Unix/Linux users have to adhere to a quota - I'd rather
> > force my windows users to adhere to the same quota by storing their profile
> > in /home/disk?/user/profile and I could do that using \\%L\%U\profile.  Now
> > one solution is to apply the quote to say /var/lib/samba/profile/%U but I'd
> > rather keep the profile in or off of the home dir anyway.
> >
> > resolving /home/disk?/user/profil using Unix path names is difficult because I
> > have so many disks with home dirs.
> >
> > BTW I've tried:
> > path = ~%U/profile
>
> You could try:
>
> path = %H/profile

What's wrong with not having a [profile] share at all, and instead using
the [homes] share, and a profile subdirectory?

This has the advantage that windows knows they are different files for
each user, and will not attempt to 'optimise' the file locking between
users (remember, MS has a strictly one-to-one mapping between shares and
real disk paths).

> > hoping that ~user would resolve correctly. It didn't seem to work.
>
> The problem is that the profile handling may do some anonymous file access
> to the Windows users' profile. This may fail if you store the profile in
> the home directory and 'others' do not have access rights to this location
> on disk.

I know this happens with netlogon - but have you really seen it with
profiles?

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org