[Samba] Backup from Linux onto Win2K-share

Stefan G. Weichinger monitor at oops.co.at
Mon Nov 17 12:44:17 GMT 2003

Hey, Carsten,

am Montag, 17. November 2003 um 12:28 hast Du geschrieben:

> No, I'm not really "taring". Right now I'm using following command to mount
> a share on the windows box:
>
> smbmount //ntsrvsr3/cmdhp5 /mnt/backupsmb -o username=kwhadm,dmask=777
>
> I also tried "mount -f smbfs ...."; but this failed as well.

What do your logfiles tell you when you try this? Set loglevel to 2
and look that up.

> Some more descriptions:
> I have a Windows-2000-domain with ten W2K servers. One of the servers is my
> backup server which has a share for each of the other servers where they
> can put
> their database-backups. As well I have a Linux box running a database; it
> also
> has to put its database backup to a share (named above).

Off topic: Why not use Linux w/ Samba as backup-server?

> A few words on my database: I'm running SAP DB 7.3. It has the option to
> backup the database either on a tape or on into a file. If using
> "file-backup" this
> file can be anywhere on the linux, either in the local file system or in
> NFS or in
> SAMBA. SAP DB does not care on that as long as it can use a mount.
> In Windows this works out perfectly for me (same technique).
>
> Ive tried FTP, SAMBA and NFS: nothing can backup more than 2 or 4 Gigabyte.
> Ive tried Suse Enterprise 8, Suse 8.2, Mandrake 8.1: same problem
> everywhere.
> At home I tried to manage it with XP-Professional and Suse Linux 8.2; there
> I've tested a new compiled kernel and samba 3.0.1: same problem.
>
> Sorry, but I'm getting "frustrated".

I understand. Have you already thought of the possibility that the
limit lies in the Linux-Version of your SAP DB? AFAI understand the
problem occurs ONLY with that one DB.

Can you create a db-backup-file on a local partition of that machine?

Consult your manuals and support to make sure SAP has no limit on
doing that so we can focus on the problem.

Keep up your head, it will work out ;-)
Stefan G. Weichinger
mailto:monitor at oops.co.at