[Samba] Can not add users to samba 3.0

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sun Nov 16 23:51:53 GMT 2003

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, lovswr1 wrote:

> > Security=share means: use plain-text passwords.
>
> Well that's the only way I have ever gotten SAMBA to work.  I f I set
> security to anything other than share then it will not work.  Also I
> thought that for WinXP the passwords have to be encrypted.

The only thing for which I use "security=share" is for anonymous access
servers. For everything else I use "security=user" (the default).

You should be able to run with just the following smb.conf file:

# Begin smb.conf
[global]
	workgroup = MYGROUP

[homes]
	browseable = No
	read only = No

# End smb.conf

You should delete your secrets.tdb, then start samba.
Addition of users who are already in /etc/passwd can then be done using:

	smbpasswd -a 'userid'

If that does not work, then you need to find out what is broken on your
system.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra