[Samba] Samba and LDAP troubles

SEFEROVIC Edvin edvin.seferovic at kolp.at
Sat Nov 15 22:52:50 GMT 2003

Hello.

I have a LDAP database with user data. For that I use  posixAccout   schema.
Now I installed Samba 3, and want to use it as a file server ( and wins
server for network browsing of course ). after I added samba.schema to my
LDAP database, LDAP wont start anymore.. then I saw that Samba needs SID in
its schema. My question now is - what number should I enter for SID?? I
don't use Samba as PDC. Should SID be unique for every user, or equal for
all of them?

If someone would be so kind and write me an answer for following questions (
I just don't understand such parts ;( )

Does Samba uses attribute homeDirectory from posixAccount? And will the
homes be created when users signs on? Are there any scripts for it?

I have plaintext passwords in my LDAP database, and I read that Samba
doesn't work with them? Does Samba take the value of passwd for
authentication? Should I encrypt passwords in LDAP for Samba or leave them
in plain text?

TIA

SEFEROVIC Edvin