[Samba] Samba 3 and CUPs printer causes explorer to abend

Tim Kelley tpk at r00tserverz.net
Sat Nov 15 18:27:18 GMT 2003

On Friday 14 November 2003 7:01 pm, John H Terpstra wrote:

> If you have followed the information presented in the HOWTO, then
> please document precisely how I may reproduce your problem. This will
> need to document every step while making no assumptions that whoever
> is following them has any intelligence. We can fix only a problem we
> can reproduce.

I had the same problem with samba 3 and cups.

Versions: samba 3.0 & 3.0.1rc1, cups 1.1.19, red hat 9, red hat ES 2.1,
Windows 2K client.  Samba and cups both compiled and installed from
vanilla sources.  Intel PC samba server.

Environment: Windows 2K PDC with ADS (mixed mode), samba configured as
domain member (no ADS), using winbind to integrate the domain accounts.
Roughly 100 printers shared through samba/cups, all jet direct.  Samba
set up to export printers to windows via cups.

Everything worked fine, winbind was working great, samba was exporting
the printers, uploading the drivers to the $print share works great.
Installing the printer in Windows worked fine.  File shares worked
fine, no problems there.

However, accessing the printer properties from within windows after
installing the driver would cause the application to crash, 100% of the
time (the error IIRC was something to do with C++).  I cranked up my
(samba) log level to 10 and couldn't find anything useful to debug
this, everything looked normal.  Nada in the windowz logs either, but I
kinda expect that.

I regret I don't have the conf files and exact errors to give you, since
I reverted back to samba 2.2.8a and it is working great (this was a
while ago).  However, I doubt seriously it had anything to do with
configuration of samba (which in this case is really pretty
straightforward and simple), more likely it was some mystifying bug
between samba and windows 2k or my particular environment.

Still, I'd like to resolve this issue; I'll be setting up another one as
a test and give it another go ... I'm kinda surprised more people
aren't having this problem since I was unable to make it work at all.