[Samba] Samba 3 and CUPs printer causes explorer to abend

Tim Kelley tpk at r00tserverz.net
Sat Nov 15 16:49:51 GMT 2003

On Friday 14 November 2003 6:52 pm, Orwig, Paul wrote:
> I am attempting to setup a Samba printserver to replace our Windows
> Print servers.
> I have defined a few printers in CUPS, some raw, and some not.
> When I use the GUi to upload the drivers, The dialog works, however
> after that is accomplished, any attempt to get the printer properties
> or to use the printer from my W2K system (cpq0277) causes explorer to
> ABEND.

I had this exact problem, in fact, if you attempted to get the printer
properties from any application it woud crash the app.  I had to back
down to 2.2.8a.

I was using Cups 1.1.19, samba 3.0 and also 3.0.1rc1

Setting up the "point and print" stuff went fine.  After the driver was
installed to samba, installing and accessing the printer would crash
any windows app.

There wasn't anything useful in my logs, either.