[Samba] NT4 PDC and Samba 3 file copying issues...

Don Bivens dbivens at carolinanetworking.com
Sat Nov 15 02:36:42 GMT 2003

Giving this another shot...

I upgraded Samba 2.x to 3.x and now have issues.

I have Samba 3 on Linux 2.4.19/Debian.  Samba runs as a member server in
an NT4 domain and gets authentication from the DC via
winbind.

I can copy a few very small files to the Samba share and they work.  I
can create and delete text files on that share.  When I attempt
to copy files to the share en masse, or even one or two files at a time
(a few work most don't) it ultimately freezes and times out.

The only interesting thing I've found thus far is:

> [2003/11/13 17:44:20, 3] smbd/error.c:error_packet(113)
>  error packet at smbd/trans2.c(2509) cmd=50 (SMBtrans2)
> NT_STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE

One person helpfully asked about my switch/hub and I'm reasonably
confident there's no issue there because everything else on the LAN
seems to work fine.  Additionally I've been ssh'ed in the the Linux box
for some time without blowing that connection.

My Samba log files and a packet capture are located at.

> http://www.carolinanetworking.com/logs.zip

Unfortunately I don't have my smb.conf handy but suffice it to say it
was tiny.  I saved off the old one and created a basic one with a SWAT
wizard just to be sure I didn't have anything stupid going on there.

Thanks to anyone with any ideas!