[Samba] Setting up Samba

Ed Holden eholden at mclean.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 14 20:06:43 GMT 2003

Gerald,

If you have smb.conf then you almost certainly have Samba installed.  To
make sure, check your RPM database to make sure the packages are
installed.  At the command line:

   rpm -qa | grep samba

If you want to turn it off or on:

   service smb stop
   service smb start
   service smb restart

This starts or stops the service, and only the superuser (root) can do
this.  Also, you can configure Samba to be on automatically every time
you boot like this:

   chkconfig smb --list
   chkconfig smb on

chkconfig is a good way to configure which services are running on your
system in various run levels.  Text mode is run level 3, graphical is
run level 5.  This is also a good command to help you turn off things
you don't need, though it does not stop services, but rather sets
whether or not services run.

A lot of this is Linux general information, not Samba-specific.  Hope
this helps ...

-Ed