[Samba] Re: Samba on AIX 5.1

mikael.ganhammar at husqvarna.se mikael.ganhammar at husqvarna.se
Fri Nov 14 07:27:51 GMT 2003

Dee,
No, I have not resolved the problem. But compiling with gcc seems to work
"better" than C for AIX V6

I have the same problem as You when trying to start the executables.
I get a core dump even when running "testparm".

I also think that bad iconv support in AIX can be the problem, so I have
tried to install GNU libiconv and GNU gettext
after finding this hint on tng-samba webpages :

"On systems other than GNU/Linux, the iconv program will be
internationalized only if GNU gettext has been built and installed before
GNU libiconv.
This means that the first time GNU libiconv is installed, we have a
circular dependency between the GNU libiconv and GNU gettext packages,
which can be resolved by building and installing either first libiconv,
then gettext, then libiconv again,
or (on systems supporting shared libraries, excluding AIX) first gettext,
then libiconv, then gettext again."

Building libiconv works allright, but  I  can not get the "make install"
step in building gettext to work.
So I downloaded  and insalled gettext and libiconv binaries from
http://aixpdslib.seas.ucla.edu.

After that i rebuilt SAMBA 3 with gcc 3.3, but the problem is still the
same.

Hälsningar / Regards

Mikael Ganhammar

                      "Mitchell, Dee
                      (IT)"
                      <MITCHDE1 at voughtai        To:       Mikael Ganhammar/Husqvarna AB/Sweden/Electrolux Group at Electrolux
                      rcraft.com>               cc:
                                                Subject:  Samba on AIX 5.1
                      2003-11-13 23:35

Mikael,

   Did you resolve this problem? If so what was the problem?

   I am having difficulties compiling samba 3.0 as well. It will compile
with gcc however the executables will not function. I believe there may be
problem with iconv since there isn't a en_US for iconv in 5.1 and the
testparm program seems to complain about character sets.

  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
   Dee