[Samba] file permissions on home directories and admin user copying files to it

Christian Nabski christian.nabski at emd.be
Thu Nov 13 18:40:47 GMT 2003

We want to copy files with the group in the admin list of the [homes]
share. The problem is that the copied files then are owned by root.
I know this is normal unix behavior. However we want the copied files to
be owned by the user of the homeshare.

I read the samba howto section "Users Cannot Write to a Public Share".
Although I want to set the owner on the home shares and not on a public
share.
The mentioned section however does not seem to work on Redhat 7.3 nor RH
AS 3 ?
The group gets set correctly (gets changed to the group who owned the
directory) but the user stays the same.
I am wondering if this is a particular issue with the Redhat distribution
or something else ?

For now I tried this "solution" :

in [homes] :
root preexec = chown -R %S %P

This works but I wonder if this is good solution ?

Christian