[Samba] Accessing shares through XP on an NT4 domain

Eric Geater 11/10/03 egeater at mscoinc.com
Thu Nov 13 17:43:49 GMT 2003

Hello!

I have a Mandrake 9.1 box running Samba 2.2.7 (not ready to upgrade
yet).  Using both Swat and vim-ing the smb.conf file (and restarting
after every change, just to see), I've finally gotten back to where I
was yesterday, which is for my XP computer to be able to see the
Mandrake box.

Problem is, I have to type in the IP address of the box.  For whatever
reason, it doesn't show up in Network Neighborhood.  That's problem one.

Second of all, I can see the three printers available on the Mandrake
computer, as well as the shares I've created.  But when I doubleclick
the shares, I get a password request window that forces my username as
"guest", and none of my passwords work.  Prior to that, I was at least
able to change usernames, even though none of my passwords work.

I want to be able to authenticate to my NT domain, but all attempts to
do this have failed.  Let me at least ask how to get the NetBIOS name,
"DRAKEJAX", to appear to the Network Neighborhood, and how to remove the
forced "guest" username when I connect to a share.

Thanks

Eric