[Samba] Stuck on joining W2K clients to domain Samba 3 LDAP 2.1.23

Kent L. Nasveschuk kent at wareham.k12.ma.us
Thu Nov 13 17:02:44 GMT 2003

Not related to joining W2K clients to a domain but the "net" command
refuses to work if there is a problem in smb.conf. Even if you run
testparm and nothing is wrong. I don't kno if it's the order or
whitespaces that causes it to not work.

I"ve had to swap out smb.conf several times because I couldn't find the
problem why the "net" command wouldn't run.

I'm still trying to get Win2k clients to join a domain.

from:
http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb/smb-ldap-3-howto.html

Joining workstations (NT, W2K, XP) to the Samba domain

Basically you need cover these steps to add (join) a windows NT/W2K/XP
to the domain:
        in the PDC samba server create an account for the machine
                one entry in the /etc/passwd or equivalent (nsswitch...)
                for the machine_name$-ended
                one basic entry in the ldap previous to call to the
                smbpasswd
                one full entry in the ldapwithsmbpasswd -a -m
                <machine_name>$
        in the MS workstation, if is a XP or W2K you need set in the
        registry: SignOrSeal to "0"
        in the MS workstation you need join to the domain ASAP via:

                NT
                control pannel-> Network
                |Identification |
                Domain/Change domain
                W2K/XP
                myPC-> System
                properties|Computer name|
                Domain/Change domain

I manually created an account in /etc/passwd <computer name>$

I'm using:
add machine script = /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd -a -m %u
in smb.conf to create ldap account.

The user I am logging in as in LDAP to create account is:
uid=Administrator uidNumber=0 sambaSID=S-1...-1000
sambaPrimaryGroupSID=S-1...-512

I can connect as user Administrator get to home directory but can't add
machine account. I get bad passwd or unknown username.

Please help!

--
Kent L. Nasveschuk <kent at wareham.k12.ma.us>