[Samba] Corruption of floppy link when upgrading to 3.0.0

Sam Seaver samseaver at northwestern.edu
Thu Nov 13 15:18:56 GMT 2003

Dear all,

Here's the case, I've got several (5) win2k machines being served by a
Samba PDC (RH9).

I did an upgrade of samba:

service smb stop
cd /path/samba-3.0.0/source
make install
service smb start

Everything seems to work fine EXCEPT...all the floppy links in all the
SendTo directories (and Recent, if used) in all the profiles on the
Samba PDC were corrupted.
This corruption prevented any log-in, because the win2k machines would
complain that they couldn't copy the file (the name appeared as long
gibberish).

When I removed all these links, the log in worked just fine.

Has anyone else had this?

The only thing I can think of that may have caused it, is that a
colleague logged in (forgetting he wasnt supposed to) to the domain,
just before I stopped the service.
He was still 'logged in' after I restarted the upgraded Samba (I had not
seen his log-in), and I couldn't log in to the domain from another machine.

I made the machine leave and re-join the domain, and still couldnt
log-in, it was then that my colleague realised why his machine was
acting funny, logged out, and told me.
I restarted the smb service all over again, and this time everything
worked, but for the corrupted floppy links.

Cheers