[Samba] Best way for exchange?

Don Bivens dbivens at carolinanetworking.com
Wed Nov 12 23:33:22 GMT 2003

Allen Bolderoff wrote:

>Therefore the only way to get 2 x authentication servers instead of 1, I
>will need to run 2x w2k servers with AD installed, working, and replicating.
>this way if the PDC equivalent machine goes down, the other machine will
>still handle authentication.
>
>And the samba box will have to be just a ADC member, which does not act as
>an authentication server itself.
>
>Either that or convince them to go to a *nix based messaging/groupware
>framework.

Correct.  The really big pisser that I discovered recently is that while
the 2 boxen can both handle directory request you still have a single
point of failure.  This thing called the "global catalog" is in the
first domain controller and if you want to take that box down you have
to migrate the Global Catalog.  I'm not sure how bad it is when the DC
dies and takes the Global Catalog with it but I know Exchange will quit
working for one thing.