[Samba] printing / printcap name in samba-3.0.0 BUG

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Nov 12 19:21:48 GMT 2003

> [Samba] printing / printcap name in samba-3.0.0 BUG
>
>     * To: samba at sambadotorg
>     * Subject: [Samba] printing / printcap name in samba-3.0.0 BUG
>     * From: Joerg Pulz <JoergdotPulz at frm2dottumdotde>
>     * Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:31:12 +0100 (CET)
> hi,
>
> i currently tried to setup a samba print server which uses cups as default
> printing system and for some special printers i want to use my own
> scripts.
>
> samba-3.0.0 is linked against libcups and printing via cups and the
> driver download works perfect.
>
> whe i try to specify a special printer with "printing = bsd/lprng/sysv" my
> own "print command" and a special "printcap" inside the service
> description, samba is always trying to print via cups and
> testparm shows the following warning:
> - --
> Processing section "[special-printer]"
> Global parameter printcap name found in service section!
> - --
>
> here are the minimum settings from smb.conf:
> - --
> [global]
> 	load printers = yes
> 	printcap name = cups
> 	printing = cups
>
> [printers]
> 	comment = All Printers
> 	path = /var/spool/samba
> 	browseable = no
> 	guest ok = no
> 	writable = no
> 	printable = yes
>
> [special-printer]
> 	comment = special printer
> 	path = /var/spool/samba-special
> 	printing = bsd
> 	printcap name = /usr/local/etc/samba/printcap.static
> 	print command = /path/to/command
> 	public = no
> 	writable = no
> 	printable = yes
> - --
>
> the samba-howto-collection describes it this way,

Actually, it recommended to use "printcap = lpstat" and "printing =
sysv".

> so it's eihter an error
> in the howto document or in the smb.conf file processing.

I am responsible for that part of the HOWTO Collection, and I myself
noticed last night that there is something not kosher with that part.
I seem to remember that I just copied and pasted an example setup into
that document's source (at the time HTML), which *definitely worked
for me*. But I was using 2.2.8 and 3.0alpha24 and 3.0beta-something
at the time...

I'll try to investigate next week and come up with another working
solution for this. Sorry, no time before that (and no environment to
test it)....

Sorry for having co-caused your problem.

Kurt