[Samba] SWAT authentication question...

Pease, Kevin Kevin.Pease at FMR.COM
Wed Nov 12 18:13:13 GMT 2003

	Hi all,

	The documentation for SWAT indicates that logging in as the "root"
user will allow the user to update & change Samba parameters.  The question
I have is, does SWAT define "root" on a Solaris 8 system as "a user with
user id 0", or "a user with the user name root"?  The reason I'm asking is,
my system administrators are (rightfully) reluctant to give out the root
password to my team, just so we can administer Samba -- we do ClearCase
support, and all we really need to touch on the system is the Samba config,
and even that, occasionally.

	So, I was wondering if it might be possible to create some user id,
with id 0 & login shell of /sbin/nologin to prevent telnet/ssh/rsh/etc, so
that my team could access SWAT without needing the root password.

	I don't know enough about Samba & SWAT to know if this is a
reasonable avenue to pursue, so I'd appreciate any feedback on this.  I
haven't had much success searching google, and the documentation for SWAT
doesn't address this issue.  Before I start trying to convince my system
admins that this is a viable alternative, I'd like to make sure that this
won't be a complete dead end.

	Thanks,

	Kevin Pease

Kevin B. Pease		FISC - SCME
Fidelity Investments Systems Company
kevin.pease at fmr.com	(617) 392-9022
SkyTel Page:  1-800-759-8888, Pin # 4713841
PACE group:  SCME