[Samba] Samba 3 Password Ageing and History

Tony Caddies tony at planet625.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 17:50:36 GMT 2003

Hello,

I've been looking at Samba 3.0 with a view to an eventual upgrade to help us meet some new security requirements.  I've downloaded and compiled the source on the target machine.  A test user account has been created and stored using a tdb file.

I have set and verified the following using pdbedit:

    minimum password age 60 (seconds)
    maximum password age 3600 (seconds)
    password history 3

The minimum and maximum password age parameters are working as expected, but the password history parameter appears to be being ignored.

Has anyone been able to get this to work?  Is my assumption (documentation on this is difficult to find) that setting password history to 3 prevents the same password being reused within 3 password changes correct?

Many thank
Tony