[Samba] RE: winbindd panic daemon dies

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Nov 12 00:11:40 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 01:00, ww m-pubsyssamba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	I haven't been able to work out how to capture the backtrace,
>  I've installed winbind with debug compiled and also gdbm.

I hope you mean gdb - the GNU Debugger, not the database :-)

>  I get the output shown below, what do I need to do next?

If you look in the manpage for smb.conf, you can setup a 'panic
action'.  This can do anything from popping up gdb in an xterm to
mailing you a backtrace.

The example in the smb.conf is

panic action = "/bin/sleep 90000"

This makes winbind just hang in there, so you can attach the debugger

Then you can attach gdb in the normal way:

gdb /path/to/samba/winbind 2348

where 2348 is the pid of the near-dead winbindd.

Run 'bt full' and give us the result.

Andrew Bartlett
Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org