[Samba] Guest Account - don't enter a password

Gabby James lizard0000092 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 11 21:39:03 GMT 2003

Hello,

I am using samba 2.07-36 on a RedHat 7.1 linux system.  I want to share a
directory on my Linux system to various Windows operating systems (Windows
95, 98, 2000 etc).

In the shares definition section I have:
[MyShareDir]
   comment=My Shared Directoy on my Linux system
   path= /home/john
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   create mode = 0664
   directory mask = 0775
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   guest account = ftp
   guest only = yes

At a DOS prompt on a Windows 2000 machine, I type:
net use v:  \\10.2.2.2\MyShareDir

I get a message: "The password or username is invalid for 10.2.2.2" then it
prompts me for a username.

>From reading about samba, I thought the guest account would login in user
ftp and not prompt for a password since I have guest ok set to "yes".  Am I
wrong in that idea or is something just wrong with my setup?

Thanks