[Samba] Forcing Samba & Winbind to use port 139

T'Krin tkrin at tkrin.net
Tue Nov 11 17:13:05 GMT 2003

Quoting T'Krin <tkrin at tkrin.net>:

> Hello.  I have a situation where I need to communicate with an NT server that
> is
> behind a firewall, the admins of which will not allow port 445 traffic to
> pass
> through.  With the setup I have, smbmount and smbclient literally take
> minutes
> to issue back a response from said server unless I issue '-p 139', in which
> case
> I get a response almost instantly.  My larger issue is getting winbind to
> use
> 139 instead of 445.  I can not enumerate the groups and users from that
> server.
>  I even had the samba/winbind system become a member of that domain but the
> only
> groups that will enumerate are those of the two other trusted domains.
>
> Is there a way to make winbind use only 139?  I have looked at debugging and
> what not and everything is hanging w/ communications to 445.  I have added
>
> samba ports = 139
>
> to my smb.conf but that has not done anything, although I did not expect it
> to,
> as I believe it is for communications from others to itself?
>
> Thanks all.
>
> ~T

Sorry.  Forgot to give details of my system.  It is Mandrake 9.1 and Samba 3.0
compiled from SRPMS.  My smb.conf and testparm output are below.  Is it even
possible to force winbind to only attempt connections w/ other systems via port
139 rather than 445?

### WINS and WORKGROUP lines were changed ###

### Start smb.conf ###[global]

  workgroup = workgroup
  netbios name = server
  server string = Samba Server %v