[Samba] RPC server unavailable

Lorenzo Conigliaro lconigliaro at onsoft.it
Tue Nov 11 16:36:53 GMT 2003

Hi

I have a problem with Samba 2.2.7-3.7.3 on Redhat Linux 7.3.

Samba run on this server like a PDC controller. This is the samba.conf

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = ONSOFT
        netbios name = LINUX01
        server string = Linux Mail Server
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        name resolve order = wins host lmhosts bcast
        domain admin group = root lconigliaro @administrators
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u
        logon path =
        logon home =
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 64
        preferred master = True
        domain master = True
        wins support = Yes
        winbind uid = 10000-20000
        winbind gid = 10000-20000
        winbind separator = <-
        winbind cache time = 10

[netlogon]
        path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
        write list = ntadmin

[profiles]
        path = /usr/local/samba/ntprofile
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700

[homes]
        path = /home/%S
        read only = No
        directory mask = 0744
        browseable = No

[DominoData]
        path = /local/notesdata
        read only = No
        directory mask = 0777

Also I have a file server with Windows 2000 Server sp4 joined to Samba
PDC.

In this file server there are some shared directory with restricted users
access. Some Windows XP sp1 client access to shared directory.

Every a lot explorer ask username and password newly. If I restart
netlogon service on windows 2000 file server all go ok. On file server's
event viewer  I found this error:

"No Windows NT or Windows 2000 Domain Controller is available for domain
ONSOFT. The following error occurred:
The RPC server is unavailable. "

And

"The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser
master \\LINUX01 on the network
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{D2214AB8-A613-44B4-86E2-0E02766D69A0}. The data is
the error code. "

Anyone have some idea?

Lorenzo