[Samba] High Availability with Samba and Heartbeat

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 11 10:31:21 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 10:20, Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> Since I get so much from this list I thought I would share a project
> I've been working on and how it works with samba (3.0.1).  It is Samba
> related so I hope it's not off topic.
>
> I've set up a HA solution with redundant Samba Domain Controllers
> throuth the "Heartbeat" package at:
>
> http://www.ultramonkey.org/download/heartbeat/1.1.3/redhat_9/
>
> I have two "Redhat 9" Linux machines (A and B) configured as a HA
> cluster providing httpd, DNS, and Samba Domain and File services on a
> virtual IP of 192.168.0.45. Initially one of the machines, (A), is
> running those services (smb, named and httpd) and listening on the
> virtual IP, while the other, (B), watches a heartbeat from machine (A)
> through both a redundant ethernet and serial link. When both heartbeat
> lines are pulled or the power drops on machine (A), within 10 seconds
> machine (B) starts the httpd, dns and smbd/nmbd services and listens on
> the virtual IP.
>
> I have a third machine (C) running Win2000 as a client for those
> services.  I can even login on the windows box, thus using Samba's
> Domain Authentication services from machine (A), and while logged on the
> domain, kill machine (A) and machine (B) takes over and when I log off
> the windows box my remote profile is saved on  machine (B), no muss no
> fuss, all transparent to the client machine.  The win2000 client can
> surf to the web services on the virtual IP and never know that a machine
> has died.  When machine (A) comes back up it takes back over the
> services automatically.

Actually, it noticed.  The TCP/IP connection was lost, and so was all
the locks it had on the files on that server.  At the very least,
disable all oplocks on the Samba servers.

How are you keeping the files on the two servers in sync?  How do you
manage password change replication?  (the only method that supports this
properly is pdb_ldap, due to some nasty 'change on BDC' machine password
semantics).

Clustering CIFS is about more than saving and restoring a roaming
profile and the PDC/BDC stuff really is better dealt with by MS's native
scheme.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org