[Samba] "+" breaks "force groups" with winbindd?

SRuth at LANDAM.com SRuth at LANDAM.com
Tue Nov 11 00:58:37 GMT 2003

Hello again,

I'm using SAMBA 2.2.8a w/ winbindd on RedHat 7.3 and testing Samba 3.0 with
winbindd on RedHat 9.  On both configurations I'm having difficulty getting
"force groups" to work.  It works fine with group names with spaces,
contained in quotes.  However, as soon as I prepend a "+" to it, winbindd
tries to authenticate a group that consists of only the domain name with a
leading quote.  It drops the remainder of the group name including the
domain separator.

Example:

Instead of winbindd authenticating "domain\group with spaces" (winbind
doesn't actually show the quotes in its interactive output), it tries to
authenticate "domain (this time actually showing a " in the interactive
output) while dropping the actual group name.  This happens with both "+"
and "\" as the delimiter.

I typically only want to force the group if that user already exists in a
certain group, this is keeping me from doing so.

Additionally, only on SWAT 3.0 and above, the "force group" field isn't
properly displayed in a share's settings page.  If it's just a group in
quotes, then the field appears blank.  If it's a group in quotes preceded
with a "+", then only the "+" is displayed (no quotes).

Any ideas?  Need more info?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks and please CC me in your replies to the list.

Sven