[Samba] Strange SWAT 3.0 behavior with group names containing spaces

SRuth at LANDAM.com SRuth at LANDAM.com
Mon Nov 10 23:55:40 GMT 2003

Hello everyone,

I've noticed something odd with SWAT version 3.0 and above.  Specifically,
for fields such as "read list" and "write list", any spaces in group names
are replaced with a comma and a space when changes are committed via SWAT.
For all previous versions of SWAT I've been able to use group names with
spaces without this mangling from SWAT.  At first I thought SAMBA would be
able to use this mangled format, but I was wrong.  Users in such groups
could not access the shares until I manually edited the smb.conf file and
refrained from committing changes via SWAT.

Examples from View, via SWAT (Note that the quotes aren't visible in
"before", but they do exist in the smb.conf file):

Before commit:

[marketing]
path = /usr1/marketing
valid users = domain\group with blanks
write list = domain\group with blanks
force group = "domain\group with blanks"  <---Yes, there is another issue
here, which I'll address separately.

After commit:

[marketing]
path = /usr1/marketing
valid users = domain\group, with, blanks
write list = domain\group, with, blanks
force group = "domain\group with blanks"

Yep, that's a mess and it breaks access to the share.  I've seen a lot of
posts claiming that spaces don't work in group names, which is a problem I
have yet to run into, but this certainly makes it cumbersome to use such
group names.

In previous versions of SWAT, the group names appeared in the smb.conf
exactly as entered via SWAT, i.e. with quotes.  With only one exception, so
far.  The "force group" field doesn't appear to be affected.  Also, when I
go to view the share's settings, via SWAT, the group shows w/o quotes.  This
occurs if SWAT is only reading an existing smb.conf or after it's been
mangled with commas, which also don't show up in the share's settings.

What gives?

Please CC me on responses to the list.  Thanks.

Sven