[Samba] Fwd: Samba semantics error?

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Mon Nov 10 23:49:30 GMT 2003

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 12:02:21PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> Under windows, I don't think you can delete a 'read only' file.
>
> Samba takes the missing 'w' for any user as meaning a read-only file.

I most certainly can.

I just tried it against a NT4 server, and locally, and it worked perfectly.

Create temp file, mark read only, delete.  Successful.  Even against samba
3.0.0 the file is deletable.

I just found "Default: delete readonly = no", and changed it to yes, with
the same result as before.

Remember, if I own the file, then I can delete it if it's read-only or not,
and that doesn't follow the DOS semantics you mentioned.

If someone else owns the file, and I have no write permission to the file,
but I do have write permission to the directory, I can't delete the file no
matter what "delete readonly" is set to.

Where can I find the DOS semantics that would apply to this on the web?

I just tried again against a NT4 server: I created a file, changed the owner
to a different user, and then deleted the file.  Success.

Hmm, I was testing with privelaged users, and even with a normal user, it
lets me delete files that I don't own.

Mike