[Samba] full size shown before file transfer (via samba) completes?

_HoF_ Blaza hof_blaza at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 10 19:49:13 GMT 2003

I noticed this when transferring a 200mb file from my win box to my linux
box (that has it's hd shared with samba). I typed ls -l in a term window to
see the progress, but it was showing full size even though according to
windows the transfer was only around 10-20%, and so on.

Why does samba do this? If I transfer with ftp, or ssh transfer, I see the
file size growing in shell.