[Samba] Solved: Samba 3 w/ADS on Slackware

Tim Jordan timothy_jordan at labor.state.ak.us
Mon Nov 10 17:15:32 GMT 2003

Hi Ron,
I took a look at your How To for ADS intergration.  I have implemented
this in our domain but your how to left me with a question"

> In addition to these files, there are a few more things that need to
> be done. First, the root user must exist in the smbpasswd database:
>
> smbpasswd -a root

What is the need to have root in the smbpasswd database if you are using
AD for authentication?

Also, I'm curious how you set up your PAM config files.

Finally, are you able to use domain user account when when creating
shares on the samba server?
For example I can do this:
[software]
    comment = open source
    path = /software
    printable = no
    valid users =@"Domain Admins"
    write list =@"Domain Admins"
It works as only Domain Admins are allowed into the samba share.

But when I try this with a domain user it does not work:
[Linux Games]
   comment = Linux ISO Games
   path = /samba/games
   force user = JON  #Jon is a domain acct, there is no local JON user
   force group =@"Domain Users"
   guest ok = yes

Thanks for your time,
Tim