[Samba] smb.conf location

David Bratby dave.bratby at microlise.com
Mon Nov 10 12:36:58 GMT 2003

Hi all hopefully this may be an easy one,

Basically i've compiled and installed samba3 (I used to be running 2.2.8a)
however i've moved my smb.conf file from /usr/local/samba/lib  to
/etc/samba.  I'm getting a problem where smbstatus is asking for the old
location of the smb.conf which doesn't exist anymore. I can run a testparm
/etc/samba/smb.conf which completes without errors but starting up the
smbd/nmbd daemons fail with error 255.  I can fix this by creating a
symbolic link in /usr/local/samba/lib which points to the
/etc/samba/smb.conf file but I really want it all to point to the
/etc/samba directory.  Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Dave.
Any views or opinions presented in this Email message are solely those of
the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Microlise Group
unless otherwise specifically stated. Email communications are not
necessarily secure and therefore the Microlise Group does not accept legal
responsibility for the contents of this message.  If you are not the
intended recipient and have received this message in error, please notify
Microlise immediately.  Microlise Group Limited +44(0)1773 537000