[Samba] What is LDAP for?

Miomir Colic mcolic at kaindl.com
Mon Nov 10 07:53:42 GMT 2003

Von:            	"Markus Feldmann" <feldmann_markus at gmx.de>
An:             	"samba_list" <samba at lists.samba.org>
Datum:   	Sun, 9 Nov 2003 22:35:32 +0100
Betreff:        	[Samba] What is LDAP for?

> Hallo i am wanna know can i speed up samba with LDAP?
> What for special Feature have LDAP ?
> Knows anybody a good Handbook in German for me?
>

> mfg M.F
>
> --

Hello Markus,

a good book  in german is "LDAP verstehen, OpenLDAP einsetzen" from
the publisher dpunkt.verlag ISBN 3-89864-217-8 (available at
www.delfmichel.de)

The special Feature in LDAP is the "single sign on" mechanism,
where you can store information about users and one password for
several logins (windows,email,sap).
So the user has just one password to login on his Windows, email etc.

This is the greatest benefit of LDAP.

Regards,

M.Colic