[Samba] OT: Work offer - SAMBA consultant required in Sydney, Australia.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Nov 10 07:54:57 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 12:16, Dan Horth wrote:
> Hi all - sorry for the off-topic posting - just that the list of consultants on the samba site is horrendously out of date! I thought that this would be the best place for me to find suitable resources...
>
> firstly I would like to say thanks a million to all the samba team for your
> ongoing efforts and great product. I just wish I had more time to experiment with it!
>
> We have the startings of a good network setup here but I'm getting snowed under
> with other work. I'm looking for interested parties able to provide me with high
> level linux consultancy services to complete our setup, specifically:
>
> - SAMBA 3.0 BDC configuration tieing in to existing Win2K AD PDC
> over CIPE VPN (ideally also Win2K AD PDC config / optimisation to suit)

This really isn't particularly practical at this stage.  We can migrate
a DC, but we don't currently have the tools for a real BDC, and it is an
NT4-level one at best.  Our migration code misses a lot of stuff, the
clients will expect to 'just work' if we appear to be a BDC, even if we
sync often enough (work is being done on at least managing that part).

> - Configuration of group policies / profiles using SAMBA BDC / Win2K AD PDC

We do not support group policies.

> - Joining Win2K Workstations and WinXP Pro laptops to BDC

Well, you never join anything to a BDC.  The point of a BDC is that it
is read-only.

> - Setup backup solutions for Win2K Desktops, XP Pro Laptops, using linux
> tools on the SAMBA BDC

One of the things to watch out with here is that unix tools don't do a
spectacular job of backing up windows, particularly things like ACLs and
ownerships.  Just keep this in mind when you decide what compromises to
make.

> and secondarily (ongoing work):
>
> - IPTABLES / CIPE Network setup / optimisation
> - implementation of direct dial-in PSTN failover backup to CIPE VPN.
> - other linux server admin consulting, including qmail, apache, bind, etc.
>
> The network in question is relatively small (8 W2K Workstations, 1 Win2K Pro server,
> 1 RH9 Internet server, 1 RH9 firewall at main site, 7 W2K Workstations, 2 WXP laptops,
> 1 RH9 file server, 1 RH9 Firewall at remote site)

Sounds like your setup (trying to implement both AD and Samba) is rather
over-complex for this size network.  Pick one, and use it.

Andrew Bartlett
Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net