[Samba] logging print jobs

todd.jones at weirslurry.com todd.jones at weirslurry.com
Sun Nov 9 20:28:56 GMT 2003

RedHat7.3, kernel2.4.18-17.7.x, samba 2.2.6-1 from samba.org binary
download.

I have been given the task of logging everything which is printed on my
samba server.  I thought I would test this out on a pdf printer I'm using
with samba.  I enter the following line for the print command.
      %u has printed %s from %m to %p at %T >> /tmp/smbprintlog &&
/usr/bin/printpdf %s
The result is similar to the following.
      joe has printed smbprn.004603.Zqq9tZ from wilmsn44 to pdftech at
2003/11/09 12:26:03
The resulting log entry is very good with the exception of %s which gives
the spool file name and not the name of the actual file.  Is there a method
to place the actual filename of the printjob into this type of log?

Regards,

Todd Jones

The information contained in this email (including any attachments) is confidential, subject to copyright and for the use of the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient please delete this message after notifying the sender. Unauthorised retention, alteration or distribution of this email is forbidden and may be actionable.

Attachments are opened at your own risk and you are advised to scan incoming email for viruses before opening any attached files. We give no guarantee that any communication is virus-free and accept no responsibility for virus contamination or other system loss or damage of any kind.