[Samba] File Disappearance after copy?

eholden at mclean.harvard.edu eholden at mclean.harvard.edu
Sun Nov 9 19:54:32 GMT 2003

Hi.  I'm converting a group that was using Mac OS X Server (we were
dissatisfied) to Mandrake PPC Linux with Samba.  The Mandrake-supplied
package is version 2.2.7a-8mdk.  So far it works great - but we have a
serious and odd problem that I couldn't find in previous postings to this
list.

When I copy files from an OS X server to this Mandrake/Samba server they
usually disappear.  Which is bad, from a service point of view.  I can
often copy a single file to the share and it works fine, but subsequent
files vanish.

I suspected this was a Mandrake problem, or a Mandrake PPC-specific
problem, so I tried it between the same OS X server and my Intel-based
Samba server running Samba's own 2.2.8a-1 binary package.  The same issue
occurred.  So this is either a problem with Mac OS X, or with the Samba
server (actually it's Samba either way, but who knows what Apple might be
doing).

I checked the progress of the copy on the Samba server's command line and
noticed some very strange happenings.  In Mac-like fashion the file
.DS_Store appears in the target directory as soon as copying begins.  Then
if I do repeated "ls -l" commands I can see that the file I'm copying to
the share actually does appear and becomes progressively larger as the
copy operation progresses.  So does another temporary file.  When the copy
operation completes, the file is gone.  Just gone.

Anyone else ever seen this?  Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Ed

Any information, including protected health information (PHI), transmitted
in this email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and or
exempt from disclosure under applicable Federal or State law. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in
reliance upon, protected health information (PHI) by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.