[Samba] File Locking

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sat Nov 8 07:18:39 GMT 2003

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Robert McIntosh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running smbd 2.2.8.  I'm a little green when it comes to file locking
> with samba.

Are you from Mars by any chance? Isn't that where green people come from?
Oh, I forgot, you could be Irish also.

> I have two users that access a single data file on a FreeBSD box.  It's a
> moneydance data file and obviously it gets messed-up if two users are
> writing to it at the same time.  Is there a way with samba to stop a second
> instance of the file from being opened, something like a "File In Use"
> message for a user if the file is already in use?

Suggest you read the HOWTO. It has a chapter on file and record locking.
You never know, it might help to educate little green people.

	http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra