[Samba] ODD PAM ERROR

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sat Nov 8 07:14:13 GMT 2003

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Brandon Lederer wrote:

> I have set up winbind, made the nsswitch settings, joined the current NT
> Domain, got back the message that said "Welcome to Domain".  When I try
> to access the PC, it brings up IPC$ and wants a password.  The log for
> that workstation says "PAM:  UNKNOWN PAM ERROR (9) during Account
> Management for User:  Domain+USERNAME!"  Then it says "PAM: Account
> Validation Failed - Rejecting User Domain+USERNAME!"
>
> Does anyone have any helpful ideas?

Brandon,

You are asking us to exercise our worn-out crystal balls by not providing
your smb.conf file, so here goes:

My guess is that your UNIX system does NOT have an account called
"nobody". I guess also that given that your system does not have a nobody
account, you also do not have the following entry in your smb.conf file
[globals] section:

	guest account = 'a_valid_unix_account'

So let me know, did my crystal ball work this time. Dang, it's been so
unreliable lately! :)

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra