[Samba] Samba 3 doesn't compile - the saga continues...

Ron Gage ron at rongage.org
Sat Nov 8 01:53:48 GMT 2003

Please see my post from 24 hours ago for the background on my efforts to get
Samba to run.

I received instructions to modify include/includes.h to change the #include
<compat.h> to #include <compat_ap.h>.  Needless to say, this solved nothing
other than a bunch of harmless warnings.  It also caused a different warning to
spew forth eternally from gcc, and more importantly, it didn't fix the
underlying problem.

In short, what the hell is going on here?  Samba has ALWAYS been known to
cleanly compile under Slackware.  Tridge, do you need a copy of Slackware to
test against?

Here is the latest set of warnings and errors preventing Samba 3 from compiling
on Slackware 9.1...

Compiling smbd/server.c
In file included from include/includes.h:902,
                 from smbd/server.c:23:
include/safe_string.h:124:1: warning: "pstrcat" redefined
In file included from include/includes.h:337,
                 from smbd/server.c:23:
/usr/include/ap_compat.h:300:1: warning: this is the location of the previous
definition
Linking bin/smbd
/usr/lib/libkrb5.a(cc_file.o)(.text+0x1d90): In function
`krb5_fcc_generate_new':
/root/samba/krb5-1.3.1/src/lib/krb5/ccache/cc_file.c:2063: warning: the use of
`mktemp' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'
tdb/tdbutil.o(.text+0x103a): In function `tdb_search_keys':
tdb/tdbutil.c:791: undefined reference to `ap_fnmatch'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bin/smbd] Error 1

Yes, I know the warning about mktemp is from MIT-krb5.  I'm not concerned about
that.  It's the Samba generated warnings and errors that have me concerned.
--
Ronald R. Gage
MCP, LPIC1, A+, Net+