[Samba] Two instances, two interfaces

Wojtek Michalski wojtekm at tsb.pl
Fri Nov 7 23:25:46 GMT 2003

Hello everyone,

I have server with two subnets on two interfaces: 192.168.1.x @eth1,
192.168.2.x @eth2.
I need Samba to work with two completely different config files: for first
subnet, as a workgroup member, for second - as a domain controller for Win9x
clients.
Each subnet have to be invisible for others

The way I've tried to do it didn't work:
1) making 2 virtual servers with 1 main config with "netbios aliases" option
and including two config files for each "Server",
2) running two instances of smbd & nmbd, each with separate config. I think
it can be a good idea, but if I run:
root at serwer:~# smbd -D -s config1
root at serwer:~# nmbd -D -s config1
root at serwer:~# smbd -D -s config2
root at serwer:~# nmbd -D -s config2,
Samba will run only with the first config. All other tries when one instance
of smbd/nmbd is running fails.

Slackware 9.1, Samba 3.0.

Thanks for help,
Wojtek Michalski