[Samba] Outlook + attached files

Chris Jones CJones at gpcom.com
Fri Nov 7 17:43:26 GMT 2003

The problem is just with an attached file from the samba server. If the
email with the attached file is left open for a period of time( I havn't
been able to determin exactly how long) It causes the outlook message to
behave abnormally in the sense that if you try to save a draft message, send
the message or delete the message It produces an error that says something
along the lines of Outlook has performed an illegal operation. But its not
the usual illegal opperation error, just a small box with an ok that you can
click ok and go back to the message. It will continue to do this until you
remove the attachment and reattach it. It only occures with files served
from the Samba server, which is why I'm askin what to look at to try to
resolve the problem. Log files for the users computer all are normal,
nothing out of the ordinary. I've read through the section on Oplocks and am
still grasping how they work, Do you think they could be at all related?
Would shutting off Oplocks potentially help or would it cause more problems.
Am I even barking up the right tree? Since its related to period of time a
user leaves the message with attachment open is there anyway I can try to
log this, if so what would I look for in the logs?

Thanks
Chris