Réf. : [Samba] Net groupmap fails

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Nov 7 16:24:38 GMT 2003

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> John H Terpstra wrote:
>
> |>Should work as far as I can tell.  try running
> |>
> |>~  net groupmap add ntgroup="Domain Admins" \
> |>~  unixgroup="Domain Admins" rid=512 --debuglevel=10
> |>
> |>and see if you get any clues.
> |

> | Hint: Make sure that you have all your "add XXXX scripts"
> | in place.  Also, make sure that these scripts can handle
> | object names that have > upper case characters and/or
> | spaces in them.
>
> Does matter here.  net group map doesn't run them
> for you anyways.  And in this case the group already
> existed.

It matters if you do a "net rpc vampire", which does call the "add XXXXX
scripts".

> | PS: groupadd does NOT permit spaces or upper case
> | characters in a group name.
>
> In the unix group name?  or the nt group name?
> I know the ntgroup name is fine.  If the unix group
> name won't accept spaces, then this is a bug.
> (which is why I asked for a log to start with).

Please note that I specifically said that the "groupadd" utility does not
permit uppercase of spaces. Linux works fine with groups that have up to
32 characters, even with uppercase and spaces.

It is the "groupadd" utility that is broken in Linux distributions.
This utility is part of the shadow-utils package.I wrote to the maintainer
a long time back but have not had any reply.

I also tried to pursue this through other avenues who simply told me to
"suck it up - lower case is the UNIX way!". :)  Go figure!

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org