[Samba] Outlook + attached files

Chris Jones CJones at gpcom.com
Fri Nov 7 15:14:34 GMT 2003

I am not sure where to begin to look into how to solve this problem.

I've setup a samba 3.0.0 Fileserver moved all of my users files over to it,
works great thanks developers=). I've encountered a few documented problems
such as the Excel saving over another file thing(already been patched I
belive). And a few I can't find anything on.

One specifically is causing me some grief. We use exchange in our
organization, outlook is the email client. If a user attaches a file and
that email sits around for a while, say they attach the file first then
write a 10 page email, it some how causes outlook to go berserk and won't
let you do anything with the email (send, save, delete). If they attach the
files and send it right away it works fine, its only if the file has been
attached for a while. I've found that when it goes berserk I need only
remove the attachment and reattach the file to get it back to normal
functionality. I've glanced over the section on Oplocks and I'm not sure if
I'm looking in the right direction. The files being attached are from the
home shares in which case the user is the only one with access to the file.
We do use an active virus scanner that has not caused any issues in the past
but just something of mention. I'm not sure if I should continue to look
into oplocks or am I even thinking in the right direction? Below is my
smb.conf.

Thanks
Chris

# Global parameters
[global]
        unix charset = CP850
        workgroup = workgroup
        realm = workgroup.COM
        netbios aliases = fileserver
        server string = Samba Server %v
        security = ADS
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        max xmit = 65535
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=16384 SO_SNDBUF=16384
        printcap name = lpstat
        os level = 33
        preferred master = No
        dns proxy = No