[Samba] idmap + ldap + nsswitch +winbindd

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at ims-tpa.com
Fri Nov 7 04:16:31 GMT 2003

Ok, this helps but I am still confused.  I have FreeBSD 4.8 installed with Openldap 2.1 and Samba 3.0.0   LDAP is working via PAM_LDAP for Unix logins and I can browse and connect from a Windows 98 machine to the samba server and get authenticated via the LDAP server.  I wanted to get the groupmap working because I want to connect a W2K server to the domain and also some W2K Pro clients.  So my confusion is on the Winbindd/Group Mapping.  I don't have the config files in front of me but I can post them tomorrow.  Anyhow I have passwd backend set to the ldap server, when I do this I get nothing from the "net groupmap list" command.  When I set the passwd backend to tdbsam I get a listing of NT group sids.  I have idmap backend set to the the LDAP server which I realize now won't work on FreeBSD 4.8 because of lack of nsswitch support.  I commented out the idmap backends in smb.conf with the same results.

How should I configure the groupmap database in smb.conf?

If the groupmaps are stored locally and I want to put a BDC on the net, then I will have to sync the groupmap databases manually since I can't store them in LDAP - Correct?

Should enable some debug logging? if so what?

Sorry for so many questions I have read the HowTo's, but it seems that if you are using tdbsam , everything just kind of works.  But it is not real clear how to configure groupmaps when using LDAP or LDAP for Users and Local for group maps.

Thank You,

Matt

>>> "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org> 11/06/03 06:08PM >>>