[Samba] clarify issues on joining Samba PDC, machines, RIDs,

jonlists jonlists at cbsol.com
Thu Nov 6 23:53:25 GMT 2003

John H Terpstra <jht at samba.org> wrote on 11/06/2003 04:00:54 PM:

> On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, jonlists wrote:
[snip other issued resolved - thank you very much]

> > - If someone goes in and deletes the unix user - say "jimmy" without
using
> > pdbedit or the samba tools, pdbedit later complains that "jimmy" no
longer
> > exists, but will not allow me to delete him using "pdbedit -r". How
can I
> > clean this up so that "jimmy" can be fixed - I'm not finding any info
on
> > how to rebuild or fix the samba information. (Administration of this
> > system will be turned over to someone else, and I need to be sure I
can
> > help them fix if they do this).
>
> Add to your smb.conf [globals]
>    passdb backend = tdbsam smbpasswd
>
> Run:
>    pdbedit -i tdbsam -e smbpasswd

I get the error...
Unable to open/create TDB passwd
Can't sampwent!

I have to believe I'm missing a required package, or is this all installed
w/samba 3.0?

> Edit your the smbpasswd file to remove the dead entries.
> Remove the passdb.tdb file.
>
> Run:
>    pdbedit -i smbpasswd -e tdbsam
>
> Edit smb.conf to have:
>
>    passdb backend = tdbsam
>
> Delete the smbpasswd file.
>
> Done.
>

> - John T.
> --
> John H Terpstra
> Email: jht at samba.org

Other naive question (I'm trying to RTFM, but I'm running out of time) -
where can I find info on whether or not I need to add scripts to smb.conf
for using tdbsam backend?

Thanks for the pointers on tdbsam - shouldn't have overlooked that one.

Jon Johnston
Creative Business Solutions
IBM, Lotus, Microsoft Consultants
http://www.cbsol.com