[Samba] Samba 3 and MMC (Microsoft Management Console)

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Nov 6 22:34:35 GMT 2003

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Nils Kalchhauser wrote:

> Hi!
>

> the samba HOWTO collection says in chapter 5 that "Samba-3 supports the
> use of the Microsoft Management Console for user management", however a
> few lines further it says "MMC (Computer Management) Console can not be
> used to manage a Samba-3 server".
>
> now, is it possible to do user management with MMC? and if, how? the only
> MMC user manager I can find is Active Directory Users and Groups and it
> tells me, that it can not contact the domain controller.

You will find an updated version of this document at;

	http://samba.org/~jht/HOWTO/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

The answer is:

You can NOT use the Computer Management MMC to manage a Sambae server.
You can use the NT4 Server Manager and the NT4 Domain User Manager to
administer a Samba server. You CAN download the SRVTOOLS.EXE file, extract
it on your Win2Kx machine and use these NT4 tools to manage your samba
server.

Thanks for the heads up.

- John T.
--