[Samba] Re: Unable to connect to a Samba server using a Microsoft Dos Client

Ludovic Ishiomin lishiomin at free.fr
Thu Nov 6 21:49:50 GMT 2003

Ok, I understood what's the problem.
Same thing with my floppy or with Bart Lagerweij's Bootdisk floppy.

In my smb.conf, I have in the share I want to connect to the following directives :

valid users = INSERM_NT+ishiominl INSERM_NT+anstetts INSERM_NT+gabriela INSERM_NT+kleinn INSERM_NT+garrecc \ INSERM_NT+saccor INSERM_NT+cherifm
admin users = INSERM_NT+ishiominl

and also in the global configuration :

winbind uid = 10000-20000
winbind gid = 10000-20000
winbind separator = +

winbind is working correctly on my debian, and nsswitch.conf seems to be ok. If I do a getent passwd, I see all users defined on my WinNT 4.0 PDC.

When I connect to the share with a Win2k client, no problems to map a user from the Win2k client to unix credential (map for example INSERM_NT\ishiominl on the Win2k client side to INSERM_NT+ishiominl on the unix side)

When I connect with a DOS client, there seems to be a problem to map the user. Apparently, the DOS client send 'ishiominl' to Samba.

I solved the problem by adding a 'username map' directive, and that file contains the following lines :

INSERM_NT+ishiominl = ishiominl
INSERM_NT+cherifm = cherifm
etc...

That's a viable solution for me, because only a few users need to connect with MS-DOS clients.
But a more elegant solution if it exists would be appreciated.
Maybe I miss something in the configuration ?
Or I miss something when I use the DOS client ?

Thanks in advance.
Ludovic Ishiomin.