[Samba] RH 9, Samba 2.2.8 and Mac OS X Clients

Jinn Koriech samba at postie.com
Thu Nov 6 17:15:42 GMT 2003

Been having very similar problems on RedHad-7.3 with Samba 2.2.7-3.7.3.
Currently users can create folders, but they can't copy files.  An entry
is created for the file on the server, but no data ever gets transfered.

I've found that if you manipulate the files from the Terminal there is
no problem.  That is, cp, mv, touch all work fine in the terminal.

I conclude that it is the Aqua interface.  I found that while native
Aqua apps can't get a handle on the shares, an app such as jEdit on OSX
_does_ work without a glitch.

I waited for OSX 10.3 (panther) to come out in the hope that the problem
would be resolved, but no luck!  Still broken!

On the other hand, it appears that shares from a Windoze 2000 Server
work fine, so I'm not sure what to make of it - is it a Samba issue or
an Apple problem?

Does anyone else experience anything like this?

Jinn