[Samba] winbind and getent ...

C.Lee Taylor leet at leenx.co.za
Thu Nov 6 07:16:45 GMT 2003

>>    I have got my ADS/Win2K3 system and Samba3 using winbind.  I am
>> able to do getent passwd, which returns users out of ADS.
>>
>>    My problem is that I wish to have a Samba box at a remote
>> location, which I currently have, using user accounts stored in LDAP,
>> but have not choice but to move to ADS based users because of a
>> Citrix application which we are not able to get to work with Samba
>> and LDAP based accounts.
>>
>>    If I enable domain logons, getent passwd returns only local
>> accounts, not ADS based account, plus, I have also seen that if I set
>> winbind trusted domains only = yes, then getent passwd also stops
>> working.
>>
>>    Now I am sure, I read somewhere, that you can't use winbind and
>> domain logons, but I am hoping somebody might be able to give us
>> better idea.
>

> In Samba 3.0, winbindd should be used on a Samba PDC in order
> to handle users/groups from trusted domains.

    Okay, so if I understand what you are get at, is that I should setup
an AD domain, make my Samba server belong to another domain and the
Samba domain trust the AD domain, that way I get the AD users in my
Samba domain, which will let me use domain logins, which is the big
thing I am missing with Samba acting as a "Server role:
ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER" ...

    Does this sound right?

Mailed
Lee